Local Grants from the Hotel/Motel Fund
The City of Shelbyville Mayor & City Council established the Special Events Local Grant program in an effort to increase the number of day and overnight visitors by encouraging sustainable year-round events and activities to be enjoyed by the Shelbyville and greater Bedford County community.
The Special Events Local Grant program is intended to promote and enhance tourism, with an emphasis on creating events and activities that will provide an experience to encourage more frequent visits and visits of a longer duration. Funding will be on a year-to-year basis, subject to availability and continued financial support and may be reduced or eliminated over time.
Proposals may be accepted from any individual, business, municipal department, or non-profit organization conducting an event located in the City of Shelbyville, or with the approval from the City of Shelbyville Mayor & City Council, from the greater Bedford County Community if the applicant is able to show evidence of the benefits to the City of Shelbyville.
Applicants shall be required to complete an Applicant Summary Form that requires the following information:
- Name, date, and location of the event.
- Amount of funding requested.
- Total event budget that includes promotion & advertisement line-item.
- Number of booked hotel/motel rooms & duration of stay, including information on if a special package has been negotiated for hotel/motels.
- A brief description of the event, event budget and promotion/advertisement plan.
- A brief narrative on the expected return on investment for the funds.
- Complete contact information on two people responsible for organizing/hosting the event.
Applications for grant funds shall be submitted at minimum sixty (60) prior to the event.
The Mayor & City Council shall approve all grant applications and funding amounts OR designate/appoint a committee to determine eligibility and approval.
The grant awards will be broken down in the following categories and awards:
- Local Activity Grant: $500 - $1,000
- Inaugural Event Grant: $1,000 - $2,000
- Local Grant Event with Regional/State Promotion: $2,500 - $5,000
- Local Grant Event with National Exposure: $5,000 - $7,500
Other amounts or categories may be determined on a case-by-case basis. To qualify for a Local Grant amount of $1,000 or above, the event must be a minimum of two days in duration.