Common Codes Questions

  1. Inoperable Motor Vehicles - Inoperable and/or derelict vehicles are prohibited. A vehicle is considered inoperable if a current tag isn’t displayed and/or it is not fully equipped to legally and safely operate on public streets.
  1. Parking - Parking is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles in residential properties only on a legal driveway or in a garage.
  1. Outdoor Storage - Outdoor storage is prohibited. Storing or placing of indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, building materials, or any other similar materials is prohibited.
  1. Junk, trash, and debris - Junk, auto parts, furniture, trash, tires, building materials, cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of.
  1. Yard Maintenance Standards - Maintenance of yards and swales / right-of-ways abutting property are the responsibility of the property owner. Grass in excess of eight (8) inches in height is prohibited.
  1. Illegal Dwelling Units / RV’s / Campers - Dwelling units, RV’s, campers and similar added to interior/exterior or placed upon property without proper permits are prohibited regardless of the amount of time in place.
  1. Condition of structures - Any wood, shingles, siding, roof covering, railings, fences, walls, windows, doors, porches, ceilings, screens (if required), and other exterior parts of a structure must be maintained in weather-tight, rodent proof, sound condition and in good repair. Vacant structures must be secured and properly maintained.

How to make a complaint:

  1. Contact Shelbyville Building & Codes at (931) 488-4230
  2. 100 N Cannon Blvd, Shelbyville, TN 37160 between 8am & 4pm, Mon-Fri

When contacting us with a complaint, please have the address of the property in violation and a description of the violation.

Sign up for alerts learn more